Sunday, January 6, 2008

Fore!

Today was a fairly quiet day. Scott let me take a nap this morning, but then his cold started getting worse in the afternoon, so I watched Liam while he (Scott) rested. Liam is still obsessed with Santa and others, notably the Grinch, going up and down chimneys. I built another chimney out of Legos for him this afternoon, and Scott helped him tie strings around various "people" and Lego men so that he can drop them down the Lego chimneys and hoist them back up, a la Santa Claus.
The highlight of the day was probably when Liam and I were in the produce section at Zingo's grocery store. L. was being particularly funny--he insisted on carrying my list while he pushed his miniature cart assertively around the store. He was imitating me exactly (nearly-four-year-olds seem to have a gift for imitating their mothers)--staring at my list and saying things precisely in my bored, slightly bossy tone of voice, like "nowww...we neeeed... uhhh...onions" or "Mommy, we are out of mushrooms. We need this one here" and he'd put it in his cart. He was all-business about it--very grown-up.So at one point we were standing in front of a a big island of fruit in the middle of the floor. I was trying to put some pears in a plastic bag and Liam was inspecting the limes right next to me. Then it all happened so quickly. I heard him saying something about "and here are some avocados" (meaning the limes) and then something about "we don't need any of those" and then out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw something move above the fruit island. I spent a couple seconds getting the last pears in my bag and then it clicked in my head that something wasn't right. I looked up and saw two teenage boys on the other side of the fruit island looking at me with strange expressions of disbelief verging on laughter. All of a sudden I put it all together and realized what had happened. I asked the boys if a lime had just flown through the air at them and they started laughing and said they were wondering if I really just did that because the lime had come out of nowhere. Then I realized that they couldn't see Liam behind the fruit display. It seems that when he had said "we don't need any of those" he chucked the lime clear over the fruit island and it had flown past the boys toward the tomatoes. I (and they) were laughing so hard at that point that I didn't even try to feign a sense of gravity in front of Liam. I just calmly reminded him that we don't throw fruit in the store and took him to go look for the lime and pick it up. We never did find it, and the boys weren't sure where it went either. Ugh. At least he didn't hit some crabby old lady...

No comments:

Post a Comment